Thursday, January 15, 2009

Epiphany

My friend Carrie is not catholic, but she and her family decided to celebrate Epiphany this year. Epiphany celebrates the arrival of the wise men, twelve days after Christmas. The night before I joined them, they had chalked their door with a blessing and prayed that their house would be a welcome place for guests. (Which is a perfect prayer for them because they are FABULOUS at entertaining people.) The night I joined them, Carrie made an almond cake wrapped in philo dough. (It has a specific name, but I'm not sure how to spell it!) See the photo below...


I'm not sure of all the symbolism, but inside the cake was a trinket. Their son Brodie got to assign each piece of the cake to a person around the table...and then everyone dove in to see if they got the trinket.


Carrie cuts the cake while Danny looks on.


Brodie assigns the pieces to people.


I was lucky enough to get the piece of cake with the trinket so I got to be the queen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the trinket a ring?

Mickie said...

It's actually a piece from the game, Cranium. I think one of the "people" from the game.