Saturday, July 18, 2009

Episcopal Convention

Since I've been attending an Episcopalian Church these days, (I know, scandalous for my evangelical roots...) I got to attend LA Night at the Convention that took place here this last week. I was a great night of art and creativity. Plus Brian McLaren spoke and I got to meet him...wow...since he is probably my favorite Christian author!


There was video with a ton of images which played throughout the evening. At the same time some one was painting.


It really was sooo creative and beautiful.


My friend David (from church) and I actually got to be a part of the events of the evening. At one point a bishop blessed a huge tub of water and then David and I got to go into the audience and sprinkle everyone with it. (By "grabbing" a handful of water and then throwing it into the crowd.) It was oddly powerful for me to be a part of the water-blessing thing. It made me see things from God's perspective...as people reach out their hands to ask and receive blessings.


Brian McLaren and I. I actually got a little choked up when thanking him for his books.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mickie, I know it's been a long time. I've read one of McLarens books and I enjoyed it. Since that time I heard he started baptizing people into "mother earth". Do you know anything about that? Maybe it is just a twisting of something he said. Anyways, if you have thoughts on I'd love to hear them. This is desi by the way, your facebook/ myspace friend.

mickie said...

Desi! Hello! I'm a huge McLaren fan. I have never heard anything crazy like the "mother earth" story. A lot of rumors get started about him because he is controversal. He's come to my church several times, and always has something challenging to say that is great. No "mother earth" stuff at all! lol...

Unknown said...

Yeah , I figured that was wrong. It bums me out that Christians start rumors like that about each other... what is the controversy surrounding this guy? I'm pretty sure most of what I've heard is false. I'd rather ask about him from someone who enjoys his teaching because I think I'll get a more true spin on what he is really saying... also, I started a blog too! You should check it out. It's some mom thoughts but mostly reflections on spiritual stuff. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you ever have time to read it. http://ponderinglifesfinerpoints.blogspot.com/2010/08/props-to-catholics.html