Thursday, July 24, 2008

Obama does it again.


Wow...have you seen the footage of crowds for Obama's speech in Berlin? That is amazing. I'm already so proud of him and he isn't even president yet!

Having lived in Europe for several years, I think I have some insight into why 200,000 people might show up in support of him. Other countries are a little fearful of America. America has a history of flexing it's muscles and changing the world (such as World War II). This is a great thing...a nation which, for the most part, is noble and good that is able to stand up against wrongs in the world! However, it makes a country like Germany feel nervous when a nation with all that incredible power acts like a cowboy, making decisions without seeming to listen to anyone else's opinion or taking into consideration another perspective or approach to an issue. (Which the Bush administration is woefully guilty of.) I think that Berliners can tell that Obama will change the current approach to foreign policy that the US has. He is more likely to work cooperatively and have a broad perspective. The world won't have to feel as nervous that the US is going to go all rouge with Obama in charge.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

While I do agree with your thoughts, I am also aware that these are also the people who kept David Hasselhof's music career going for years. Just sayin'

Mickie said...

Excellent point! It is always important to keep things in perspective...lol!