This past weekend I visited my friend Shoshana in Washington DC. 
We went to Roosevelt Island and wandered around on Friday. 
On the boardwalk that criss-crossed the island.
We attempted to see the fireworks on the mall. However, they were very short and we showed up late...so no fireworks...instead, we took photos in front of the Iwo Jima War Memorial.

On Saturday we visited the National Cathedral. A-ma-zing...is all I can say!
The wrought-iron embellishments were incredible. I thought this one of moses and the burning bush was particularly lovely. 
The stained glass windows were stunning. The cathedral was finished in 1990 so rather than some of the more traditional coloring for stained glass windows, the windows were made from bright, luscious, modern colors. 
One of the rose windows...
And another view of the stained glass. 
We also went to the American Art Gallery and saw an exhibit about Aaron Douglas, an African-American painter.
A spider in the sculpture garden of one of the Smithsonian museums.
We took some time out to dip our toes in the sculpture garden fountain...a lovely time of rest.
A new interpretation of the Rodin's The Thinker. Very playful!
Monday, July 7, 2008
DC for the Fourth of July
Posted by Mickie at 5:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
some sweet photos. I especially like that last one. Sorry you didn't get to see the fireworks. I actually got to see them from a hill overlooking Whittier and the valley.
That sounds really fun! Did you get to see several displays at a time?
Post a Comment