Monday, August 20, 2007

Orthodox Jewish Wedding

I had the true privilege this weekend of attending an orthodox Jewish wedding. My friend Shoshana's brother was getting married. Here are some highlights in photos and video!

Before the ceremony, the groom is read the marriage contract while the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom break a plate to symbolize the agreement between the two families.



Because of what happened in Jewish history with Jacob being tricked into marrying Leah when he really wanted to marry Rachel, a Jewish groom now identifies his wife before she is covered in her veil. As the groom enters the room, there is MUCH dancing and celebrating. Here is a video of the groom followed by all the men who are celebrating the bride identification and veiling moment.



The father of the groom greets his newly veiled daughter-in-law to be.



The women must be completely covered. Here is Shoshana in her dress which covers her from neck to toe!



The ceremony takes place under a canopy which symbolizes their new home.



The reception is characterized by much dancing and celebration. The women and the men are separated during this time by screens. Here some video of the women dancing followed by video of the men dancing.





The newly married couple...



This is my favorite picture from the evening. Some serious dancing with excitement was going on!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it looks like a wicked good time
i love the video where they are dancing and someone is rolling around on the floor in the middle
thanks for sharing

Ryan said...

So did you meet any nice guys at the wedding?

www.thecrazydaisies.wordpress.com said...

I wish the videos were like 30 minutes long. i could've watched forever! I loved it. I wish there was that much celebration and dancing at my wedding. Geez. Makes us look like prudes. :)

Shoshana Kahana said...

Mickie was the best guest ever at this (my brother's) wedding. She was photographer extraordinaire and her natural curiosity and appreciation for all new experiences is clearly evidenced in all of the shots! :-)

Anonymous said...

These are some of the most interesting pictures I've seen. I love the one where the jewish guys are dancing in a circle. It makes me feel happy.
MOM