At the moment I'm going through what everyone else I know went through when they were about 22-25 years old. Sheer and utter panic about finding a job, choosing a location to live, and taking the first step to picking a life for myself.
Some would say that I've got it good. I have absolutely no constraints to my decision making process. If I wanted to move to Rio de Janeiro and live in the shadow of that cool Christ the Redeemer statue, I could. If I wanted to join the Peace Corp and live out the next few years serving people out of mosquito tents in Africa, I could. If wanted to pick some lovely US city and start saving to buy a white house with a picket fence, I could. There is no job, no location, no boundaries on my decision.
But there are too many choices and too many variables to consider. Sometimes I feel that I am just not up to figuring out the whole thing.
Ok...so here's some of my variables...
-It would be nice to live closer to my family OR at least make enough money at a job so that I can visit them often.
-In the US I've imagined myself moving to Seattle, but the cost of living there is outrageous, and I haven't come across any high paying, entry-level jobs there yet.
-I also would love to be overseas again, but I'm afraid I'm going to be lonely. I've lived my life as a wanderer, and although it's lovely, sometimes you need to make some roots.
-Probably the most important variable is that I want to be doing something interesting...I can't see myself doing a job that just anyone who lives in suburbia would do.
Psychological research actually shows that too many choices makes a person more unhappy, not less. I feel the truth of those findings.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
existential angst
Posted by Mickie at 3:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
God has always provided open doors for you. Why doubt Him now? I'm sure when the time is right, He will provide just what you need.
just follow your little voice inside you it knows best.
Get some darts and either a map of the world, or one of the states (if you decided to stay stateside) Toss away!
and you are not alone in this process. I'm six months away from leaving this job. I understand your feelings.
I think we have some great dart stores out here if you need a place to mull. :)
Very interesting about the research, it makes sense to my type of personality.
Post a Comment