Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Sex and the City

Ok...so I know that the reader's of my blog are a pretty mixed group when it comes to opinions about the show Sex in the City. For some, it is their favorite show. Others have serious problems with the messages the show sends about sexual behavior in today's world. Putting all the sex stuff aside for the moment...I'd like to explain why I really enjoy the show and what I've learned from watching it.

For those unfamiliar with the tv series, it is about four women who are attempting to naviate the New York City dating scene. They do much breaking up...and much recovering from being broken up with.

Every time I watch the show, I am struck by how honest the women are with themselves and, in turn, with the people they date. They readily tell people that they aren't interested in them...and don't feel guilty about it. They have quirky preferences in men, and don't apologize for it. They affirm that it is important to listen to yourself when dating, over and over again. I watch and it makes me feel bold. I can date and not be run over by men. I can date and not be terrified of hurting someone's feelings. I can date and not have to apologize for being the quirky person that I am.

The reason why this is relevant to me at the moment, is because I just had to tell someone (romanticallly) that I wasn't interested in them. This is always really painful for me. And I've even let myself be talked out of my valid concerns with someone on multiple occasions. But as inspired by Sex in the City, I feel affirmed tht it is ok to disappoint someone, and I don't have to feel bad about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now we're all wondering who the "someone" is.

I've never watched the show, but do enjoy movies that have Sarah Jessica Parker in them.

Take care --

Porthos said...

Never forget that it's all fake.

Ryan said...

You really should come to Korea, that show is on at least once a day over here. Not that I watch it, of course...