Sunday, September 2, 2007

Catholic Sunday

Today I explored the Catholic side of the Hudson Valley. Literally. The west bank of the Hudson River is owned by a variety of Catholic organizations.

First, I went to services at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Catholic Church. They had this window in the church which I liked because it says, "Thy Kingdom Come" which is one of my favorite biblical themes. They also did a baby dedication which reminded me of The Godfather movies. (I have no photos of this event though because I had enough propriety not to take pictures during the ceremony).



I went to several monasteries during my journey. They all had these small cemeteries where the monks were buried. All the gravestones had R.I.P. on them...how weird is that...I thought that was just something they put on haunted house grave stones!





One monastery even had some sort of life-size meditation labyrinth that you could walk through. I did the walk, and it was rather calming!



I stopped at another church that had this beautiful window. They were having a rummage sale outside, so I bought myself a coffee table for $10.



I read for a bit while sitting in these Adirondack chairs overlooking the Hudson River. This was at the Holy Cross Monastery.



The other thing I did today was go on a little nature hike. The best part of it may have been this tree that someone made a little door for. :)



Although the varieties of mushrooms that were all over the place were also interesting! These guys were splitting open this dead tree trunk.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

If my 1980s cartoon trivia is good, you discovered the home of the Shirt Tales in your second to last photo.

Mickie said...

I was personally hoping it was piglet or pooh or whichever one of them lived in the bottom of a tree.