This past week I called Dell (the makers of my laptop) because the left-click button on my mouse pad is stuck in the down position. (Resulting in it randomly clicking on things when I sweep the mouse across the screen.) While running diagnostic tests on the computer, they found another error, but couldn't tell if it was from the operating system or the hardrive. So...they tried fixing the operating system first which entailed me backing up my files and then deleting everything off the computer and reinstalling Windows. This process was lengthy and taxing (both the backing up of files and reinstalling windows), resulting in having to stay up until 1:00am on one evening. When it was done, they told me the problem was all fixed. So tonight, just to make sure, I ran the same diagnostic test that caught the error in the first place, and, wouldn't you know it, the error is still there. I just got off the phone with Dell and they are sending a new hardrive to replace this one that seems to be having problems. (Luckily it is still under warranty so all the repairs and parts are free still.)
This all is annoying for at least 2 reasons. First, why does it take 2 hours to install Windows? I've never had to install an operaing system before...I can't believe how long it takes...then there is all the drivers they have to reinstall which is another hour of work. Plus, I actually upgrade the Windows version that Dell gives me (they provided me with Windows Media Center, and I upgrade via my university to Windows Professional) which takes another 1.5 hours. THEN I still need to install all the random programs I use (like Skype and Yahoo IM). Argh! I am just annoyed!
Then to top it all off, I realized this evening that there was something I forgot to back up...all my favorites on Explorer! This is TONS of websites that were all organized. The biggest loss was all my websites for teaching...I'm so sad! I had them organized into about 6 different categories of stuff...they were resources with great videos to show in class, lesson plans, interesting projects, etc! All gone!ARGH!
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Computer Woes
Posted by Mickie at 7:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
so that is why it took you so long to play your turn on Scrabble.
I feel your pain. I've had several computer crashes lately. Stinks it does.
Yes...I should have put annoyance #3 as not being able to play online Scrabble for a few days!
just be happy that you DO NOT HAVE VISTA. i want to throw my computer through the window every day.
Post a Comment