Sunday, February 8, 2009

Point Dume

I went exploring this morning up the coast, and came across Point Dume. It is a state park area that has terrific nature walks and tide pools with tons of starfish!


Atop the cliffs overlooking the ocean. Yellow flowers were in bloom everywhere!


Another ocean view with yellow flowers.


Overlooking the cliff into the ocean.


The beach (which was a steep hike downward) was lined with tide pools.


The starfish came in a variety of colors, including burgundy, purple, and orange!


When I first arrived at the tide pool the starfish were securely fastened onto the rocks, but I could see their little suckers desperately grasping by the time I left. (Can you see how many starfish are in the photo? I count four.)


When I touched the starfish, I was amazed at how hard they were. They look like they would be as flexible as sponges.


I've never been to a tide pool with this many starfish! There were hundreds!


And I'm not even sure what this is...but some sort of hairy worm that is purple and orange. It looks like it belongs at the bottom of the ocean. (FYI...you can always click on a picture if you want a closer look.)

10 comments:

www.thecrazydaisies.wordpress.com said...

amazing pics. Loved the starfish. I didn't know they came in other colors!!!! Now this is why I beg my husband to move to CA EVERY DAY. See you later, A, I'm moving in with my friend Mickie!

mickie said...

Even if you can't move out here...you definitely need to come visit!!

Anonymous said...

Mickey, that top picture with the flowers in the foreground is stunning. Have you thought about photography as a side career? Maybe the wormy thing is a sea cucumber. Penny

mickie said...

Thanks! I've always really enjoyed taking photos...although I've forgotten the technical aspect of things since I was in high school. If this whole psychology thing doesn't work out at least I've got another option! :)

Sea cucumber...I'll have to check that out.

Anonymous said...

I'm down loading the first 2 pictures for my desktop. Looks like you had a great day exploring.

Ryan said...

Next time you go there, take a replica of the Statue of Liberty and you can recreate the original Planet Of The Apes.

mickie said...

I haven't seen Planet of the Apes...but I should start carrying around something to be in all my pictures. I'll have to think about that more...

mickie said...

And mom...I'm so glad you are going to use them! While I was wandering around I was thinking that I might take you and dad there when you visit...

Eric and Heather Kooiman said...

I loved your pictures-they were so beautiful! Although I will have to say if you keep posting all the beautiful scenery and all the fun things about life in LA that I may not be able to read anymore due to homesickness!!!! There's nothing like the ocean!!!

mickie said...

Heather...I can't wait until your next furlough...since I'll be here to truly see and enjoy you guys!

I have to say that I'm so thankful to be near the ocean!